LOHS 2020-21 Term 2 Final Exam Guidelines
- To empower students to make important decisions about their learning experiences, how they will create and apply knowledge, and how they will demonstrate their learning.
- To allow students to demonstrate learning with or without a final exam.
- To modify our practices to benefit student learning and achievement during the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic.
- Students who are PASSING (D- or higher) the course during Term 2, prior to taking the final exam:
- OPT OUT: These students may opt out of taking a cumulative final exam.
- IMPACT OF EXAM: Students who “opt in” to take the cumulative final exam may have their final grade impacted, positively or negatively, by the results of that exam. However, students shall not fail a course due to the final exam.
- OPT-IN DATE: Students who “opt in” to take the cumulative final exam must commit to this by a date communicated by the teacher, after most/all grades are in the gradebook, to be no earlier than the Monday before final exams. If no date is communicated in writing by the teacher, students may request to take the final exam up to the day before the scheduled final exam.
- Students who are FAILING the course during Term 2, prior to taking the final exam:
- EXAM REQUIRED: These students must take the final exam as an opportunity to pass the class.
- 80% OR HIGHER: Students who are failing the course, but receive an 80% or higher on the exam will receive credit for the class and are issued a grade of “P” (credit/passing).
- BELOW 80%: Students who are failing the course, but receive a grade lower than 80% on the final exam, are issued the mathematically-generated (based on grade weights) letter grade, which may be an “E” or a passing letter grade.
PROJECTS/PORTFOLIOS: Courses with a project/portfolio final requirement are still permitted to require students to submit these projects; the changes outlined in this policy apply only to traditional, cumulative, final exams.
The above guidelines apply to each course individually. Students may opt-in or opt-out of final exams in each individual course, and are permitted to arrive and depart from school as-needed for their individual exam schedule.
Students MUST communicate their intentions with their teacher. Any questions about final exams should first be directed to the student’s teacher(s) and adhere to any deadlines set by teachers.
2ND TERM EXAM SCHEDULE:
- Thursday, January 21 for ALL students, “Green” and “White” who are taking exams. Students choosing to not take exams do not report to school. Students who are taking one exam on a day, but not another, may come to school for one or both class periods that day.
|1st Period||11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|1A||11:30 a.m. - 12:13 p.m.|
|1B||12:18 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|2nd Period||1:05 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.|
|2A||1:05 p.m. - 1:48 p.m.|
|2B||1:53 p.m. -2:35 p.m.|
- Friday, January 22 for ALL students, “Green” and “White” who are taking exams. Students choosing to not take exams do not report to school. Students who are taking one exam on a day, but not another, may come to school for one or both class periods that day.
|3rd Period||11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|3A||11:30 a.m. - 12:13 p.m.|
|3B||12:18 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|4th Period||1:05 p.m. - 2:35 p.m.|
|4A||1:05 p.m. - 1:48 p.m.|
|4B||1:53 p.m. -2:35 p.m.|
Student Transportation will be provided. Student bus pickups will occur 1 hour and 45 minutes after current scheduled pickup time. Example: Student pickup time scheduled for 8:45 a.m. will be picked up at 10:30 a.m. for these two days.