Lake Orion Community Schools works with the news media for coverage of issues and events involving the school district, its students and staff.
However, LOCS strives to provide all students with a safe learning environment without unnecessary interruptions.
As a result, the following media expectations are in place:
- All media requests involving students or staff should be requested through LOCS Director of Communications and Marketing Mark Snyder via email ([email protected]) or phone (248-693-5403.)
- Exceptions include athletic events or extracurricular activities outside the scheduled school day.
- The Director of Communications and Marketing should be contacted when a representative of the media requests to visit a campus or arrives at a campus without prior approval.
- All photography and/or interviews should be cleared through the Director of Communications and Marketing.
- Media representatives may be allowed to visit an area outside or inside a school when escorted by the Director of Communications and Marketing or a designated school official.
- Families have the option to remove their student from media and district promotional access by filling out the opt-out form. Media must respect the opt-out restrictions submitted to the district.
- LOCS enforces and follows student privacy preferences and release of student information as outlined in FERPA guidelines (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act).
- LOCS reserves the right to decline a media opportunity.
- The Superintendent or designee shall be the official spokesperson for Lake Orion Community Schools.