Lake Orion Community Schools' unique Parent University program provides parents an opportunity to participate in their child's education.
The program offers many different topics.
Each of the 2017-18 school year presentations offered a theme:
- Make and Take for Early Literacy (Grades: K-1)
- Growth Mindset and Making Sense of the “New Math” presentation (2-5)
- Building Early Literacy through Play - Have you ever asked, “What is my child learning? He plays all day!” (Pre-K and pre-school)
- Supporting your Child through Series Books (2-3)
- Fact Fluency: Number Sense and its importance in Mathematics (K-5)
- Cyber Safety (K-5)
- Parent University: Ed Camp (K-8)
- Dater’s Ed featuring guest speaker Lisa Jander (6-12)
- Is My Child on the Right Math Track? (4-11)
One offshoot, about increasing literacy, that drew some widespread attention last fall.
The Detroit Free Press dove into the program's recent history and its growing impact in in September 2017, with a front-page story and a list of reading tips.