National Honor Society
LAKE ORION HIGH SCHOOL NHS SELECTION PROCESS
Scholastic records are reviewed to determine those students academically eligible for membership. Juniors and Seniors who have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.75 or higher will receive an invitation (during school or via e-mail by Monday, September 11, 2023) to complete a Candidate Form for membership consideration for the Lake Orion High School's Chapter of the National Honor Society.
- Students interested in becoming a member are invited to attend an informational meeting conducted by the adviser and NHS Officers on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 (KIVA) in order to explain the admission process and gain insight on how to best provide evidence of service, leadership, and character. If students are unable to attend, refer to the NHS Informational Presentation below.
- Students interested in membership must submit a Candidate Form online by 3:00 p.m. Monday, September 25, 2023. Late submissions will not be accepted. The QR code and link to the form will be provided in the invitation letter.
- Once the Candidate Forms are submitted, the LOHS Faculty Council will review eligible Candidate Forms for membership based on the pillars of National Honor Society. Candidates receiving a majority of favorable votes from the Faculty Council will be awarded membership.
- Candidates will receive notification of membership by Friday, October 6, 2023 and will be required to attend the Induction Ceremony on Wednesday, November 8, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. Once a member, students must attend all meetings and meet the service and leadership requirements of our chapter.
- Candidates who have been denied membership will be notified, in writing, including the general reason for denial. Students who have been denied membership have TWO school days, from the date of notification of denial, to schedule a meeting with the adviser to discuss the decision.
Important Dates For New Candidates
- Friday, September 8 -- Distribution of Invitation Letters
- Wednesday, September 13 -- New Candidate Informational Meeting (9:00 am KIVA)
- Monday, September 25 -- Candidate Forms Due By 3:00 PM
- Friday, October 6 -- Notification of Acceptance (via school email)
- Wednesday, November 8 -- NHS Induction Ceremony (7:00 pm KIVA)
7:00-7:25 AM in the KIVA
*Additional meetings and events may be added throughout the year.
2023-2024 NHS Officers
President: Michael Drakos Junior Secretary: Liza Bruner
Vice President: Ana Mahaud Treasurer: Mindy Quinn
Senior Secretary: Gracie Tapley Historian: Jack Logsdon
Social Communications: Ella Johnson Parliamentarian: Paige Weid
Adviser: Michelle Lee
For a list of tutors for the 2023-2024 school year, please contact Ms. Lee via email.